Time : 9.00am – 10.00 am
Event : Engaging Science and Math by Andrew Popov, a Senior Policy Officer at St Andrews Place.
Efforts to attract students attention and interest in Science and Mathematics through 4 priority action areas which were Infrastructure, Strategic Partnership, Workforce Capacity, Resources to Support a Contemporary curriculum. The development of infrastructures to boost Science and Math are Ecoline:
1. Ecoline – Sustainable Environment Practices
2. GTAC – Molecular and Cell Biology
3. The Victorian Space Science Education Centre – Space Science
4. Victorian Bioscience Education Centre – Bioscience and Health Science
5. Earth Science Education Centre – Renewable Energies
6. Quantum Victoria - Physical Science
And also with the development of John Monash Science School and 42 BER Science Centre Schools. Students in Victoria in other school can visits the centre and developed interest in Science and Mathematics and their application. Innovative use of ICT through outreach program and the use of Ultranet to help teacher in teaching and learning.
Strategic Partnership is where a department selected company will collaborate with schools in helping them in teaching and learning. A prementoring program in the strategic partnership where a student in university will voluntarily assist teacher in teaching and learning of science and math at school. They will bring teaching and learning materials from the university.
Time : 10.30 am- 11.30 am
Event : Workshop on Thinking Skills by Libby Tudball, from Monash University.
Libby began by a hands on De-Bono Six Thinking Hats
- White : Facts
- Red : Feel
- Green : Creative Possibilities to solve problems
- Yellow : Positive ways to think and act
- Black or Purple : Negative Issues to face
- Blue : What actions are needed
All activities or thinking skills are used to promote engagement of students in teaching and learning process by applying all multiple intelligence to support students abilities.